Friday, July 15, 2011

"And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie





Last night I finished reading the Agatha Christie 1939 classic, "And Then There Were None." I first read this book when I was in high school, and I have probably read it at least a half dozen times in all of these intervening years. It is a book that made me an immediate and lifelong fan of both Agatha Christie and mystery, detective, and thriller novels. It is a "hobby" that I treasure to this day.


You probably know the story: ten people are invited to spend a weekend on a remote island off of the English coast. Upon arrival, each is accused of a crime from their past. Then, one by one, each is killed in accordance with the Ten Little Indians nursery rhyme. But who is doing it, how are they doing it, and why are they doing it? This may well be the most perfect mystery story ever written.


Earlier this year, I gave a copy of this novel to my 13 year old nephew, Nathan, and he loved it. I like to think that I have converted yet another generation to the genius of Agatha Christie.


By the way, if your only knowledge of this story is one of the many film adaptations of the novel, let me advise you that the book has an entirely different, and much more satisfying, ending.


Read the book if you haven't done so, and if it has been many years since you have read it, read it again. You won't be sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment