My first thought is, THIS is the deal for "a bat" to boost the team in the stretch run? On first blush, this is the kind of deal the Pirates used to make, acquiring an unproven young guy with great "upside" (Jeff Clement, Brandon Moss etc).
My subsequent thoughts are...
- Trading a middle inning relief pitcher for a guy who can play every day and contribute is a good deal.
- This assumes that Snider can play every day and contribute.
- The Pirates are no worse off with Snider in RF than they are with Alex Presley, Drew Sutton, or Jose Tabata.
- Snider could be another Jason Bay.
- Snider could also be another Andy LaRoche.
- Will another deal be swung between now and 4:00 this afternoon to bring a more experienced rental player to help down the stretch?
- If this trade happened in the off-season, and not in the middle of a pennant race, everyone would be saying, "good deal" on the face of it for the Pirates.
And in an unrelated question, why was Kevin Correia (not that he's Cy Young or anything) the one sent to the bullpen and not Eric Bedard? This may seem like classic Monday morning quarterbacking in light of Bedard's pasting last night by the Cubs, but I had this question in my mind even before last night's game. Honest!