Monday, July 16, 2012

Happy Birthday, Three Rivers Stadium



On July 16, 1970, forty-two years ago tonight, Three Rivers Stadium opened.  Given the two venues that replaced it, no one much misses it any more, but it was the centerpiece location for Pittsburgh sports for 31 years.  As it was about to be imploded, I compiled a list of my Top Ten Memories of the place.    


No one asked me to do it, and it was greeted with great ennui at the time, but, what the hell, I thought I'd reprint them here on this anniversary date.  All of these are events that I actually attended at Three Rivers Stadium.



Top Ten Three Rivers Stadium Memories


1.      1972 – Franco Harris and the Immaculate Reception beats the Oakland Raiders in the Steelers first ever playoff game.  How could anything else be Number One?
2.      1979 – Pirates defeat Cincinnati Reds in Game Three to sweep the National League Championship Series and win Pennant.
3.      1971 – Attended Game 3 of World Series, my first World Series game.  Pirates win and go onto win World Series.
4.      1975 – Steelers defeat Oakland on an icy field in AFC Championship game.
5.      1978 and 1979 – Steelers defeat Houston Oilers two years in a row in AFC Championship game.
6.      Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente – just watching these two Hall of Famers over the years.
7.      1979 – Attend Game Three of World Series. It’s a night game, it’s cold, there are snow flurries, and Pirates lose.  They win the World Series anyway.
8.      1994 – Steelers lose AFC Championship to Chargers when last minute fourth down pass at goal line falls incomplete.  I’ve never heard 60,000 people get so quiet.
9.      1995 – Steelers beat Indianapolis in AFC Championship game to go to Super Bowl.
10. 2000 – I catch foul ball hit by Jason Kendall, my first such souvenir in over 40 years of attending ball games.
11. 1985 – Bruce Springsteen “Born in the USA” concert.  Over 65,000 people, largest crowd ever at Three Rivers for any event.  Still the single best concert I’ve ever seen.
12. 1970 – Three Rivers Stadium opens.  It is old and outdated now, but it sure was dazzling when it first opened.

OK, I know that’s twelve.  So sue me! 




No comments:

Post a Comment