Friday, March 2, 2012

Ben Howland in the News

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this week's Sports Illustrated so I can read all about the mess that Ben Howland has found himself in out there in Westwood. Seems that Coach Ben has been turning a blind eye to bad behaviour amongst his Bruins hoopsters, and that a renegade program is now running amok at UCLA. Or, at least, that is what the news reports would have you believe. As I said, I will wait to read the SI story before forming a final opinion.

The news, however, prompted me to recall my final memory of Ben during his days at Pitt. During that final season, the rumors were circulating that UCLA was wooing Ben and that he would be leaving Pitt, despite having recently signed a long term extension with the Panthers. I recall that he was interviewed on Mike & Mike in the Morning and being asked about these reports. Ben then stated that he wasn't thinking about UCLA, that he had every intention of fulfilling his commitment with Pitt. I recall a friend at work commenting to me that, if he "ends up going to UCLA after what he said to Mike & Mike this morning, then he's nothing more than a lying s.o.b.", or words to that effect.

And we all know what happened. Soon thereafter, Ben was being introduced at Pauley Pavillion as the new UCLA coach, and the name of John Wooden was being tearfully invoked. This doesn't make him exactly the same as Todd Graham, but it doesn't make him all that much different, either.

It seems to me that Howland is remembered in the pantheon of Pittsburgh sports coaches with a higher degree of reverence than what his actual accomplishments merit. I know that others may disagree, but, as I said, just my opinion. Perhaps Ben's greatest accomplishment was bringing Jamie Dixon to Pitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment