Tuesday, November 20, 2012

"The Racketeer" by John Grisham


I have just finished reading the current #1 on the Fiction Best-Seller list, John Grisham's "The Racketeer".

A prisoner in a federal prison camp in Maryland claims to know who shot and killed a Federal judge and his mistress, and he will tell all, if he gets released from prison, has all charges against him dropped, and is allowed to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program.  As with all Grisham novels, we see all sorts of maneuverings by lawyers, prosecutors, FBI guys, underworld bad guys, and other assorted low lifes, and you are not always sure as to who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

This wasn't the best of the Grisham books that I've read, far from it in fact, and it appeared that the author might have been phoning it in as he was writing it.  Still, after I got about half-way through it, I found myself compelled to keep reading until I finished if for no other reason than to see how he was going to tie everything together.

Load this one on your Kindle or eReader at a reduced price, or wait until the paperback hits, and read this one if you have a long plane trip ahead of you or a trip to the beach.  Other than that, I wouldn't make this one a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment