Saturday, February 1, 2014

Super Bowl Prediction

So, it was back on September 5 that I wrote in this blog that "the Broncos (would) defeat the 49'ers in a New Jersey blizzard on February 2."

Well, doesn't look like there will be a blizzard, but at this point I have one-third of the equation correct, with a chance to get two-thirds of it right. 

So, I'm gonna go with the Broncos, right?

Well, I know who I want to win and for whom I will be rooting - Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos.  I admit that I am a big fan of Manning's.  I want him to win this game, if for no other reason than to shut up people who think that the only way to evaluate a player's "legacy", a word that has been much overused these last two weeks, is by how many Super Bowl rings he has collected.

And while on that subject, people need also shut up about how many Super Bowls a particular player has won.  Sorry, but Tom Brady has not won three Super Bowls, nor has Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana won four, nor Eli Manning two.  Rather, Brady's (and Bradshaw's, Montana's, and Eli's) teams have won those multiple Super Bowls.  Last time I looked, no team has ever sent only one guy on the field in one of these games.  This same reasoning also applies to the World Series, NBA Finals, and Stanley Cup.

But back to the game tomorrow.  I am going to pick the Seahawks in this one.


I am basing this on the old axiom that "offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships."  I think that Seattle has the better defense, and that is how I am picking this one.

I also think that it will be a close game, and that fewer than 50 points will be scored.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I hope that Manning undresses Richard Sherman at least once in this game.

Enjoy the game, everyone, and, oh yes, watch, but don't bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment