Saturday, September 9, 2017

Brady and the Pats Go Down


The 2017 National Football League season opened two nights ago with a surprising, to me, anyway, 42-27 beat down by the Kaycee Chiefs over the New England Patriots.  Tom Brady had a most un-Brady-like performance in the loss, and it led to an interesting discussion on PTI on both Thursday and Friday.

The question proposed was, Will 2017 be the year that Tom Brady declines as the pre-eminent quarterback in all of football?  He is, after all, 40 years old - young for a doctor or lawyer, but ancient for an NFL player - and Father Time does catch up to everybody, does he not?  I liked Wilbon's response:  "I won't be surprised if Brady declines significantly this season, he is forty years old, after all, but I will never predict that he will, because he is, after all Tom Brady!!"  (Maybe not the exact Wilbon quote, but close enough.)

As for me, I will never sell Brady, Bill Belichick, or the Patriots short.  They are still the team to beat and if you want to go to the Super Bowl, you are probably going to have to win in Gillette Stadium come January.  So, until it actually happens, I, like Wilbon, am not going to predict a demise of the Golden Boy or his team.  Again, though, always remember the words of famed philosopher Shaquille O'Neal: "Thirty-nine, it ain't twenty-nine, bro."  And Brady is now forty.

And speaking of the ever charming Coach Bill, I conceded after last season's Super Bowl victory, that he is among the very best coaches, and may very well be THE very best coach, in all of football history, but I have to wonder....when Tom Brady goes, just how great a coach will Bill Belichick be?




No comments:

Post a Comment