Saturday, September 29, 2018

A Bet I Was Happy To Lose


Back in the first week of September, the Pirates' record sat at 69-71.  They had 22 games remaining, nine against bad teams (Marlins, Royals, Reds), thirteen against good teams (Cubs, Cardinals, Brewers).  They would have had to go 13-9 during that stretch to finish above .500.  I felt that they would not be able to do it, and I went on The Facebook and offered to bet $2 on it to the first five people who accepted the bet.  Only four people, Tim Baker, Andy Terrick, Ryan Frankhauser, and Len Martin took me up on it.

(Yes, I was only willing to put ten of my own dollars at risk here.  I'm not a complete idiot!)

Anyway, last night's win over the Reds was win #81. Combined with the cancellation of the now meaningless rained out game with the Marlins, the Pirates are assured of a winning, i.e., an above .500 season.  FYI, the Bucs went 6-7 against those "good" teams, and are 6-0 with two left to play against the "bad" teams.

I have to admit, I never saw this coming at the beginning of the season, so good for the team for this accomplishment.  I have many thoughts on the 2018 Pirates, and I will share those at length later  in the week when the season officially concludes.

Tim - Your Thomas Jefferson is in the mail.
Len - I will square away with you at our next breakfast.
Andy and Ryan - Thank you for how you have asked me to earmark your winnings.

Oh, and I had one other bet on the likelihood of an above .500 season, so, Jim Haller, your October breakfast is on me.

I will close with a pic of the guys who I deem to be the Co-MVP's for this year's squad.

Trevor Williams and Jameson Taillon

Like I said, it's a bet that I don't mind losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment