Friday, May 1, 2020

And On The 45th Day, There Was Golf

Today, May 1, marks the 45th day of Social Isolation for Marilyn and me, and it also marked the day where the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has begun to open up parts of its economy, including golf courses.

So it was that Dan Bonk and I headed out to Coraopolis this morning and took on the world renowned Scally's Par 3 Course, a perfect place to play your first round of any season to shake off the rust of a long, and even longer one this year, winter.  To be honest, I am still not sure that opening up venues such as this is a good idea, but, having said that, I cannot begin to tell you how good it felt to be out in the fresh, albeit cool and damp, air this morning.   It truly was a huge mental lift to be engaging in such an activity.

We were the first two golfers of the newly reopened 
season to check in at Scally's this morning.

I won't bore you with details of the golf, other than to say that  while I didn't play all that well, I played much better than I thought I would.  I will also make one observation of "socially distant" golfing.  As you may or may not know, you are not allowed to touch to remove pins on the greens, and that a styrofoam insert is in the cup, about a quarter inch below the lip, that allows you to "sink" your putt, but also retrieve your ball without reaching into the cup.  While you may miss the satisfying rattle of your ball going into the hole,   it really isn't a problem at all, and frankly, I hope that the "no hands on the pins" dictum stays on forever.  It will, I believe, speed up the pace of play when everyday hackers - like me - aren't futzing around with the flagsticks as if they are Justin Thomas or Brooks Koepka playing for hundreds of thousands of dollars every week.




No comments:

Post a Comment