Friday, October 15, 2021

A Very Special Round

First, the background.

Last month, for my 70th Birthday, Marilyn handed me a card.  Inside the card was a check with a note that said "For new golf clubs."  Given all that was going on with her at the time, I was completely overwhelmed, but here  was the thing.  I was fine with the clubs that I had.  I neither wanted nor needed new clubs, and I told her that she really needn't have done that.  Then she said, "But I really want you to have new clubs.  It's important to me that you get them."  That is when the light bulb switched on and penetrated my thick skull.  So, I ordered a new set of hybrid irons, 3 through PW.  Given all that we were going through here, I had yet to use them, other than hitting a few balls into the woods behind my house.

On to today.  Most of you know that Marilyn passed away after her almost five year battle with cancer on Tuesday morning.  I will write more on that topic in full at a later time.  Suffice to say, life has been a whirlwind the past three days.  So much to do, so many details to tend to, so many phone calls to make and answer.  Anyway, by this morning, I had just about everything nailed down, so I was looking at an afternoon with nothing to do, fairly nice Fall weather, and a new set of golf clubs sitting in the garage.

So off I went to Clover Hill Golf Course in Franklin Park.


It wasn't especially busy, and the tee box was wide open, so I went off as a single, which is exactly what I wanted.  Just me with my thoughts, my new golf clubs, clubs which are now forever linked with my wife.  They were the last gift - the last physical gift, anyway - that she gave me.  I think that she knew that she wasn't to see Christmas with me, let alone another birthday.  I am now so glad that I saw the light and bought those clubs.  She will be with me every round I play from now on.

As my nine hole round was winding down, I thought of how Marilyn would have greeted me at home, excitingly asking "How were your new clubs?"

When I go to bed tonight, I'll tell her all about it.

5 comments:

  1. A splendid post. Write your way through the valley. I did. And came out on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome post Bob. I am sure Marilyn was looking over your shoulder on every shot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob: what a eloquent and heart felt Grandstander, I have something similar with a pitching wedge my Dad gave me on the last round we played together. It has never left my golf bag. Stay Well My Friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet a fitting post, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very touching and expressive post. I'm so glad I got to meet Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete