Monday, September 11, 2023

Football Weekend in Review

Well, it was quite a football weekend here in The Burgh.  

First, Pitt lost to Cincinnati, 27-21.  It was a game that I am sure most Pitt fans had marked for the "W" column at the outset of the season, so this had to be a shocker.  Talking to some folks who were at the game, I am told that Pitt did not look all that strong, and that this could be a long season for the Panthers, and that one particular someone that I know who put fifty bucks on the Panthers to go OVER 6.5 wins is now figuring that he's not going to see any return on that bet.

I missed the Pitt game myself because Linda and I toddled on out to Moon Township to see the Robert Morris Colonials take on the Red Flash of St. Francis University beneath a gorgeous late summer sky at Joe Walton Stadium.

See what I mean about that sky?

For our effort, we got to see RMU break a 13 game losing streak, one that extended back to November 2021, by defeating SFU 31-21.

It was a most entertaining and satisfying game, and sent us home happy, and it gave us a taste of how totally awesome it was going to be the next day, when the Steelers took on the San Francisco 49'ers in what was one of the most highly optimistic and awaited season openers in years, but who would have guessed then that the highlight of the Pittsburgh football weekend would be that win by Robert Morris?

Well, by now we all know by now how THAT turned out.  The Niners 30-7 victory was a thorough and total and complete ass-kicking of the Steelers.  The twenty-three point deficit wasn't an accurate depiction of how completely outclassed the Steelers were yesterday.  It was much, much worse than that.   In point of fact, I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about the performance of Rooney U yesterday.  Plain and simple, they stunk up the joint. On the bright side, the 49er beat down of the Steelers wasn't the worst loss of the day in the NFL.  That prize goes to the New York Football Giants, 40-0 losers to the Dallas Cowboys.

So let's move on.  

Next up are the Cleve Brownies next Monday night.  The Browns wiped out the Bengals 24-3 yesterday, so nobody at Acrisure Stadium better be taking them lightly.  It behooves the Steelers to avoid another disaster like the one we saw yesterday.

I never did get around to doing my Steelers Preview for 2023 over the weekend.  In that preview, I was going to say that the Steelers would win 11 games, make the playoffs, and win at least one playoff game.  I will stand by those predictions.  I wasn't going to make a Super Bowl prediction, but based on what I saw yesterday, it won't surprise me to see San Francisco playing in that game come February.  They're really good.

Oh, and if you weren't looking, the Deion Sanders Story continued with the Buffaloes putting a 36-14 beatdown on Nebraska on Saturday.  The Legend of Coach Prime continues.


No comments:

Post a Comment