Sunday, June 27, 2010

Back From Hiatus







Well, have you all missed The Grandstander? We returned Saturday afternoon after a week in one of the world's greatest places, North Carolina's Outer Banks, more specifically, the beach in Corolla, Currituck County, NC. I have included a picture of my lovely Bride and me on the last night of vacation with the Atlantic in the background. Have also included pics from the theme night that Marilyn and I hosted, "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay." If I must say, the playlist that I put together on the iPod for a soundtrack was dynamite!

We had one of our best weather weeks ever in 25+ years of traveling to the OBX. Very hot. I mean EXTREMELY HOT.

Note to Loyal Reader Big Poppy: please be sure to check out the logo on the green t-shirt that I am wearing. I know you'll just love it!

Some quick comments on some other topics:

** A belated 4oth Anniversary to Brother Jim and Lovely Bride Nancy. Forty Years is something to be proud of, indeed!

** As many of you may know by now, in the 2-3 weeks prior to leaving on vacation, Marilyn and I bought a new home, sold our current home (although our realtor tells us that never count on anything until you walk out of the closing with the keys in your hand; in other words, "it ain't over 'til its over." Yogi Berra really is a genius!), and now must pack up and move in the next four weeks. In other words, it's gonna be really hectic and Grandstander postings may be few and far between until after July 26. Be patient and understanding all you Loyal Readers.

** Welcome back from Florida to Bill, Ann, Kids and Grandkids. Hope it was a great week for all of you.

** Through the magic of XM Radio, I was able to keep up with the Pirates games. Lucky me. I am running out of words to describe just how bad the Pirates really are. Can this version eclipse the 112 losses of the 1952 squad, generally regarded as one of the worst teams in baseball history?

** I learned today that Dana Eveland was released while I was gone. At least GM Neal cut the cord on that disaster quickly.

** Glad to see that while GM Neal and Skipper JR have been renewed for 2011, the Buc management wasted no time in firing an insubordinate pirogi. Ungrateful bastard!!

** Speaking of the aforementioned contract renewals for GM Opie and Mr. Excitement JR, that news broke just as we were finalizing our house sale and packing for vacation, so I couldn't comment upon it. It is somewhat old news now, so I won't rehash it, but I will say this. Full disclosure: over the last few years, I have gotten to know Frank Coonelly, consider him a quasi-friend, and a good guy. So, it pains me to see him come up with such an implausible (to put the best light on it) story. As eloquent former skipper Lloyd McLendon might have put it, the whole episode flummoxes me!

** Neilspeil for today: I heard GM Opie say on his Sunday pre-game radio show, and I may not have the quote exactly here, that he and his team have achieved all of their short and long term goals that they set for themselves except for "wins and losses" on the major league level. Guess that's like the CEO of the White Star Line saying that except for the pesky little problem with icebergs, the TITANIC was one terrific ship!

** Am truly sorry to see the USA bounced from the World Cup by Ghana yesterday. I watched all of the second half and the overtime, and saw a total of three - count 'em - three shots on goal by both teams. Am getting used to the vuvazelas, though!

Good to be home!!






No comments:

Post a Comment