Sunday, August 8, 2010

Shake Up at 93.7, The Fan

Did you see that sports talk station 93.7, The Fan, is shaking up its line-up, effective tomorrow?

In case you missed it, early evening host Greg Gionotti is being shifted to the 6:00 AM - 10:00 AM slot with Paul Alexander and Jim Colony, and Jon Burton is being demoted to the evening news reporter. Yes, JB will no longer man a talk show, no longer laugh uproariously at everything that everyone, especially he himself, says, will no longer do his patented shtick of speaking in an exaggerated Pittsburgh Yinzer accent.

What little I have heard of Gionotti, I like, although he faces a couple of obstacles. One, he is young, less than 30, I believe, and two, he is not from Pittsburgh. This will not sit well with the Yinzer crowd, because "what can some punk kid aht-a-tahner tell me about the Stillers n'at."

I say, however, that this is a good move on the part of 93.7. Burton just didn't cut it, and while were at it, I'm not all that crazy about Paul Alexander, who is a lifelong Pittsburgher, by the way. It will be interesting to see who becomes the dominant buck on this show, Alexander or Gionotti.

3 comments:

  1. I've given up on morning radio during the comute. I was a Mike and Mike guy, but Greenie really started to annoy me. The X Tim Benz is a punk, The fan is terrible and I refure to listen to KDKA..it makes me feel old. So I just started listening to cd's on the drive. I have hear Gionotti in the evenings..I don't think he will sway me from my CD's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartily agree with John on Greenberg & Golic, and feel stronger about my agreement on punk Benz. Pretty close to total agreement on The Fan.

    Good to know there is one discerning reader out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Benz has been dead to me for years. "Punk" is too nice a description for him.

    ReplyDelete