Thursday, September 9, 2010

Nice Statue, Ugly Game


We went to the Pirates game last night, and it was fairly typical of what we have seen of late when we have attended: Bucs fall behind 3-0 in the first, starter doesn't get out of the second inning, bullpen non-entities (Pirates used 8 pitchers in all last night) get pounded, and Bucs lose, 9-3.


What was of note last night was the mood of the crowd. Like the Pirates play last night, the crowd was ugly and bordering on mean-spirited. It is almost like they have reached the Howard Beal stage: mad as hell, and not going to take it any more. Seriously, this team is going to have major problems trying to sell themselves this off season, particularly if no changes in management take place. Speaking for myself, I purchased two seats for a ten game plan in 2010. I am of no mind to make a similar financial commitment for 2011 unless the Pirates make some kind of commitment to ME (well, not me, personally, but you know what I mean). And if that "commitment" includes John Russell's lackluster leadership, Neal Huntington's usual line of b.s. that, for example, makes Charlie Morton to be a front line pitcher, and additions to the team of the Iwamura, Church, and Crosby ilk, then I will just hold on to my money and buy my tickets on a game-by-game basis when I feel like going to a game. Something tells me that I won't have trouble getting tickets when I want them.


Here's another thought. The Pirates have not raised ticket prices since 2002. From a pure business standpoint, they HAVE to raise their prices this year. I understand that, but can you imagine how that news is going to greeted when it is announced?


As for the Maz statue, we walked by to see it prior to the game. It is a nice statue, and a deserving tribute to a great Pirate and the city's most famous sports moment, but did you notice that there is a mistake in the plaque that accompanies the statue? It states that Maz hit an 0-1 pitch for the famous home run. We all know, of course, that it was a 1-0 pitch. I also don't think that the statue got Maz's face right. However, I am amazed that the entire 14 foot statue stands on only on foot. How did they do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment