Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Final Four - No Predictions!...and Movie Comment

After going 1-3 in the Elite Eight games, I said I was out of the prediction business, and indeed I am. So, instead, I will just say who I'm rooting for in the games this weekend.

Connecticut over Kentucky. Will cheer for UConn due to some sense of Big East loyalty. Also, hard to root for John Calipari (with apologies to Loyal Reader "John Bocabella") due to Cal's history of skating close to the ethical line in coaching his teams in the past. That said, it is Jim Calhoun who has crossed that line recently and is facing a suspension next season. Did I just talk about "ethics" in high level collegiate athletics? How foolish of me!

(As an aside here, I find the new trend of "suspending" coaches - Bruce Pearl, Jim Tressel, Calhoun - who have violated the rules in hopes of avoiding stiffer sanctions from the powers that be disingenuous at best, and repugnant at worst.)

Virginia Commonwealth over Butler. How can you not root for a guy with a name like Shaka Smart? Also, a win by VCU will drive the Billy Packers, Jay Bilas', and assorted ESPN "bracketologists" absolutely nuts!!! In the Championship game, I will be rooting for the winner of the Butler-VCU game over whatever team they happen to be playing.

*****

Changing subjects....

While channel surfing tonight, I happened upon the movie "Apollo 13" just as it came on the air, and was immediately hooked. What a great movie about one of the most amazing stories of the 20th century. No one could have made up a story better than the flight of Apollo 13 back in 1970. For any younger readers out there who may not know what I am talking about, please do a little research about Apollo 13. Then get a copy of the movie and watch it. Absolutely fabulous stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I'm picking VCU over Butler and Kentucky over UConn. In the final I pick Kentucky to win the championship. I still have a soft spot for Lexington and the Wildcats of Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Kentucky beats UCONN, I win one of the pools I'm in so, GO WILDCATS!!!

    ReplyDelete