Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday Musings

Thought I'd pass on this very cool picture of Andrew McCutchen's swing that appeared on the PG+ site today. I think it might appear in tomorrow's edition of the Post-Gazette. Now, on to some Monday thoughts.....

  • Did I predict that a European golfer would win the Masters? I meant to say that an international golfer would win.

  • Still Rory McIlroy was making my prediction look pretty good until he got to the back nine - excuse me, the Second Nine - on Sunday, which as we all know is when the Masters really begins.

  • By all accounts, McIlroy is a very decent and good kid, which makes his El Foldo all the more painful. Here's hoping he can bounce back from that.

  • How about that finish by winner Charl Schwartzel: 4-2-3-3. That is called grabbing opportunity by the throat and not letting it go.

  • It is beginning to look like Jack Nicklaus' standard of 18 majors is not going to fall. Can't see Tiger winning five of these things from this point going forward, despite his strong showing this weekend at The Masters.

  • Big news out of PNC Park was the Pittsburgh Police tasering and putting a beatdown on some drunk at Saturday's Pirates game. It is a YouTube sensation (it went viral, as the kids say), although I have not seen it. I wasn't there, I didn't see the video, and I am sure that the cops will end up as the bad guys in this, but a part of me says that no punishment is too severe for obnoxious drunks at sporting events.

  • Obnoxious drunks are why I gave up my Steelers tickets eight years ago.

  • An interesting observation by a caller to The Fan this morning: with beer going for $7.50 and up at PNC Park, who can afford to get so blasted at a ball game?

  • Took in my first Bucco game of the '11 campaign yesterday. After overcoming a 4-0 deficit, it was a tough one to lose. Once again, those dreaded bases on balls killed the team.

  • Another first of the season this morning: first round of golf for 2011. Scored a 44 at Clover Hill. For the first round of the year, that's OK, I suppose, but having to mark down a snowman on the ninth hole was most definitely NOT okay.

1 comment:

  1. Nice score, G-Man, 44. Loved your "Second Nine" correction, above. Agree that Nicklaus'
    18 Majors may hold up. Tiger disappointed the Masters' gallery (Oooops, I mean the "Patrons") on the second nine. Also, props for naming McIlroy in your prediction.

    ReplyDelete