Sunday, April 22, 2012

Movie Review: "The Three Stooges"

Yes, I did it.  I went to see the new movie, "The Three Stooges".  Marilyn was meeting a friend for lunch, I was by myself, and needed something to do to keep me out of trouble.  What better than becoming a nine year old boy again and going to see "The Three Stooges"?  


Written and directed by the Farelly Brothers ("Dumb and Dumber" among others), this is not a movie about the Three Stooges.  It is an actual, honest-to-goodness Three Stooges movie.  Moe, Larry, and Curly (not Shemp!) are there and look enough like the originals to be almost scary. And it's all there...hammers on the head, finger pokes to the eyes, nyuk, nyuk, nyuks, whoo-whoo-whoos, Curly shuffles, and in one that was always a favorite of mine, Moe runs a chain saw over Curly's head only to see all of the teeth of the saw are now damaged!  (Only a scene in a baby nursery was a bit out of place and a concession to 21st century movie humor.  I could have done without it, but judge for yourself.) Oh, and I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a pie fight.  And the movie is followed, naturally, with a "Kids, please don't do this at home" disclaimer by the Farellys themselves!


Plus, Sofia Vergara is in it!!!!


Is there a plot to this masterpiece?  Well, there is, but does there really need to be?  Soitainly not, nyuk nyuk nyuk.


On a rainy Saturday afternoon, a 1:00 show was pretty crowded and included lots of parents, mostly Dads, of course, who brought their kids, mostly boys, of course.  I was wondering which of these really wanted to see this one the most, the fathers or the sons?  And what was my excuse for being there?  


I can tell you this....it was funny, moronic and sophomoric, maybe, but still funny, as in laughing out loud funny.  Go see it.  If you don't like it, then get over here and pick two fingers! And if the lines are too long at the box office, just tell everybody to spread out.



1 comment: