Wednesday, July 17, 2013

All-Star Game: "It's Gotta Be The Shoes"

By all objective reckoning, last night's 3-0 win by the American League in the 2013 All-Star Game can at best be described as a rather desultory affair.  Although I was in awe of how Fox Sports and MLB in general handled Christ coming down from the Cross to play in the game.  Oh, wait, that was just Mariano Rivera's entrance from the bullpen and retiring the side in the eighth inning.  I guess I just got confused from all of the worshipful words bandied about.

Also, by the clock on my cable box, the eighth inning break took NINE MINUTES, thanks to the appearance of Neil Diamond (Was that really necessary? There are better ways to honor the victims in Boston.) and the milking of the Rivera Grand Entrance.  NINE MINUTES! I mean, C'mon Man!

And I would also be remiss if I didn't mention the impressive stint of Jason Grilli in his half inning of pitching.  Very nice.

However, the one thing that stood out to me last night above everything else was the shoes worn by the players.  It seemed that every player had flashy colorful shoes to match his respective team's colors.  Red shoes, blue shoes, orange shoes, neon yellow shoes (as worn by Andrew McCutchen).  It was a rainbow of footwear out there.  Now regular readers know that I am somewhat of an old school purist when it comes to baseball uniforms, but I have to tell you, I loved the colorful shoes.  LOVED them!  I  wish every team adopted them as part of their regular, every day uniforms.  

Somewhere up there, Charley Finley was smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment