Monday, November 4, 2013

When the Devil Came to Stonebrook Village....

So, last September, it was the day after Labor Day, I recall, Satan, Old Nick Himself, stopped by my house as I was relaxing on my deck, recovering from the pasting that Florida State put on Pitt the night before, and we had the following conversation:

Devil:  You're a Steelers fan, right?
Me: Sure am.
Devil: Season starts this coming Sunday, doesn't it?
Me: It does, but I'm afraid it's gonna be a down year for the Black & Gold.
Devil:  Well, maybe I can help them out, let them have a good  season, but you will need to do something for me.

There then ensued a negotiation between the Cloven Hoofed One and myself.  I asked for a Super Bowl win, but he wanted my soul for all eternity.  Hey, I wasn't willing to go THAT far.  It went back and forth, and it came down to this:

Devil: OK, OK.  Those twelve years of Catholic education you have are too much for me, so how about this?  You agree to five years in Purgatory, and I will guarantee that at the halfway point in the season, the Steelers will be only one game behind the Baltimore Ravens, the defending Super Bowl Champions, in the standings.  They will then be on their own after that.  If they then end up with a winning season, your soul will be saved.
Me: DEAL!!!!

Moral of the Story - Always read the fine print in any deal you sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment