Thursday, October 23, 2014

Another Paradigm Shifts

Lost amid all the tumult and shouting over Apple's introduction of the latest versions of the iPhone, was the fact that Apple would no longer be making and marketing the iPod Classic.

It was in 2008 or 2009, after getting a lesson in the workings of iPods from our nephews during our Outer Banks vacation, Marilyn and I made the decision to purchase an iPod.  The model we chose was the one you see to the right here, a black iPod Classic.  It was a bit more expensive than other models, but it offered 160 GB of storage.  I still don't know exactly what gigs, GB's, or G's exactly are, but we were told that we could store as many as 20,000 songs on this baby, so we made the plunge, and our iPod Classic has served and continues to serve us well.

Not only have we transferred most of our CD's onto it over the years, but we now purchase music via iTunes, (I can probably use one hand to count the number of actual CD's that we have bought since we got our iPod), and we have been introduced to the wonderful world of Podcasts that are available for our listening pleasure.  A Sony speaker with an iPod dock has all but replaced our stereo system, and our Chevy Equinox had a USB port in it that allows us to listen to our iPod in our car.   As for storage capacity, we have about 3,500 songs loaded onto our Classic, so we have barely even scratched the surface of its capacity.

Right after that Outer Banks vacation I referenced above, I was sitting in a staff meeting at work and listened to my Boss at the time going on and on about "change" that was coming to Highmark and our department, about how we must be willing to embrace "change", adapt to it, and flourish under it going forward.  My response was, "Hey, I just bought an iPod, and moved all of our music onto it, so the idea of 'Change' doesn't really bother me!"

As I said, our iPod Classic still functions grandly and serves us well, but it is now destined to become a museum piece.  I can't see our ever replacing it, but I also thought that all those cassette tapes we had back in the eighties were the ultimate in listening pleasure.  Change, as they say, is constant, and the paradigms are constantly shifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment