Friday, March 25, 2016

Batman v. Superman


While I am not a person who is, as they say, part of the Comic Book Culture, I was kind of looking forward to seeing the tremendously hyped movie "Batman v. Superman".  I felt like this because (a) I thought it might be fun, (b) "Superheroes" is going to be the theme of our party night on our Outer Banks vacation this year, (c) I was finding myself succumbing to the hype, and (d) I like Ben Affleck.

Then I read Barbara Vancheri's review in yesterday's Post-Gazette.  Then I saw some comments on Facebook last night (that means you, Billy Hepfinger).  Then, most damning of all, I read this review by Leonard Maltin:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/batman-superman-v-the-audience-20160324

Based on Maltin's review, I have to ask why does the movie have to be so dark and grim?  It should be fun, shouldn't it?

If you don't want to read Maltin's entire review, here's the closing paragraph:

I feel sorry for kids and families who will be sucked into seeing this blockbuster. Parents will have a hard time explaining the grimly dark, confusing story to their children. Don’t kids deserve to cheer for a superhero in this kind of movie? Director Zack Snyder and company don’t seem to think so.

And I always did ask myself, why are Superman and Batman going against each other?  I always thought that they were on the same side, but then, as I said, I am not of the Comic Book Culture.

And, finally, why does it have to be two-and-a-half hours long?

So, all things considered, I think that I am now going to take a pass on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment