Sunday, April 10, 2016

Sunday at The Masters, Post-Game


As I said this morning, I wore a butt-groove in the couch this afternoon and into the evening watching the final round of The Masters, and it certainly did not disappoint.  My Jason Day prediction of this morning was sure wrong, but there was drama a-plenty, and the long held cliche of "The Masters never really begins until the second nine on Sunday" was truer than ever this year.

When Jordan Spieth birdied the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th holes to take a five shot lead, his second consecutive Masters victory seemed a forgone conclusion, right?  Bogies on ten and eleven seemed to be a slight hiccup, but then the famous 12th hole at Augusta reared its head.


You know what happened.  Not one, but two shots into Rae's Creek, and quadruple bogey 7, combined with Englishman Danny Willett's bogey-free five under 67, and Willett is the new Masters Champ, so congratulations Danny Willett!  Watching Spieth implode like that was excruciating to watch, but it certainly was dramatic sporting theater.

It will be interesting to see how Spieth responds to this.  He's extremely talented, and he's only 22 years old, so most likely he will shake this off and excel, but even Nick Faldo said that this has to scar him to some degree or another.

In the meantime, the coronation of the "Next Tiger" has been postponed indefinitely.


1 comment:

  1. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. I feel very grateful that I read this.

    ReplyDelete