Sunday, February 11, 2018

The Winter Olympics Begin


I confess to having not been overly excited about the onset of the 2018 Winter Olympics.  I mean, honestly, if pressed I could probably have named three or four American Olympians (Lindsey Vonn, Sean White, Mikaela Shiffron...that 's it, that's the list).  I knew that I would watch.  I do love watching curling once every four years, and the hockey will be interesting, even without the NHL'ers, but it just wasn't exciting me, if you know what I mean.

Then, last night we watched slopes-style snowboarding event, and saw the USA win its first Gold Medal of the Games in the person of 17 year old Red Gerard.



Take an oddball sport that is just totally compelling and fun to watch, even if you have no idea how the judges score such things, mix in a bit of red white and blue jingoism, and then see Gerard, who looks like some high school kid that buses your table at Applebee's, win that event, well, that was just damn exciting!

(By the way, if I could somehow be transported back to being a 14 year old kid, I think that I would be begging my parents to let me take up snowboarding.  That just looks like an amazingly FUN thing to do!)

I can't say that I will be glued to the TV over the next two weeks watching All Olympics All The Time, but I will certainly be tuning in  each day.  Maybe I'll turn to another channel if nothing catches my eye, but there is a good chance that something is gonna grab my attention and be a fun an exciting thing to watch.

Citius Altius Fortius.

No comments:

Post a Comment