Sunday, December 9, 2018

To Absent Friends - Sam Nover

Sam Nover
1941 -  2018

Former TV Sports newsie at Pittsburgh's Channel 11 Sam Nover died this past week at the age of 77.  I am late to the post here in acknowledging Nover's passing, and nothing that I can write would top what sports writer John Mehno wrote about him in his column today.  I highly recommend it to you:


I certainly remember when Nover arrived on the Pittsburgh scene back in 1970 with the charge to shake up a moribund Channel 11 newscast with edgy and hard hitting reporting and commentary, which in his oft times abrasive manner he most certainly did, as Mehno describes in his column today.  I also remember Nover hosting a sports talk show on KQV in the evenings when that station decided to take on the Myron Cope and Stan Savran shows on WTAE back in the day that I like to consider the "golden age" of sports talk radio in Pittsburgh.  Interesting to note in Mehno's column that Cope and Nover detested each other.

And he did get that final sit-down thirty minute interview with Roberto Clemente.  That's quite an epitaph.

When I saw that Nover was only 77 when he died, I was surprised to realize that he was only ten years older than me, which means he was all of 29 years old when he arrived in Pittsburgh.  

RIP Sam Nover.

No comments:

Post a Comment