Thursday, January 31, 2019

The GCR and the Super Bowl


With only two teams left standing, it is time for the final Grandstander Confidence Rankings (GCR) of the season.

Here you go:
  1. Patriots
  2. Rams
As you might be able to guess, I am picking the Patriots to defeat the Rams in Super Bowl LIII.

There are lots of reasons why the Rams might win this game. To name a few: bright and innovative young coach Sean McVey, emerging star QB Jared Goff, MVP-caliber RB Todd Gurley, dominating defensive linemen Aaron Donald and Ndamukong Suh.  All of those are balanced off and canceled out by two words: Tom Brady. Yeah, I know the Pats have actually lost three Super Bowls with Brady at the helm, but I just can't bring myself to bet against him.  Literally.  In Las Vegas two weeks ago, a week before the AFC Championship Game, I placed a bet on the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.

In the next day or two, I plan on writing another post that will explain why, separate and apart from my $15 bet on them, I  will actually be rooting for the Patriots this coming Sunday.  Not a popular position to take outside of New England, I realize, but that's how I'm going, and I'll tell you why in a that future post.


By the way, and speaking of Aaron Donald, back in the earlier years of this decade, I watched Aaron Donald ply his trade for the University of Pittsburgh.  You knew at the time that he was a really good player, certainly the best player on those Pitt teams, but no one among my ticket group would have been willing to bet the mortgage payment that he would one day turn out to be the best defensive player in the NFL.  That's why I made a living as an insurance professional and not as a football scout.

No comments:

Post a Comment