Monday, January 13, 2020

Bill Cowher

It was big news this weekend when the announcement was made that former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher was named to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  I was always a big fan of Cowher's when he was here with the Steelers, and I am certainly happy that he has reached this pinnacle.

Rather than list all of his accomplishments that led him to this point, if you are interested enough to be reading this you already know what they are, I will instead turn this one over to my pal Tim Baker, who posted this story on Facebook on Saturday night when the Cowher news became public.  It's a pretty good one.  Take it away, Tim.....

Congratulations Coach Kaahr!!! I have a story, of course.
In my sophomore year, I was a backup O-lineman just trying to figure out how to avoid getting killed every week. And on a sunny Saturday afternoon at Carlynton HS, the guy I was backing up went down. Coach Mac called my name and in I went.
I spent the rest of the afternoon getting my en-tire ass kicked all over the field. I was too dumb to quit so I kept getting smacked around. They guy doing the smacking? Bill Cowher! 
I learned a valuable lesson that day. That I wasn't going to be able earn a living with my athletic prowess and I had better hit the books. Thanks for that Coach!!!!

I will conclude with some photos of the Coach that typify him and his time with the Steelers.  I think that I will need to be making a trip to Canton in the Fall just to see how that famous jaw is depicted on Cowher's bronze bust.






Congratulations, Coach!!


No comments:

Post a Comment