Saturday, March 21, 2020

Reflections on Isolation, Week 1

Random thoughts after a surreal week......

As readers know, I love a good cliche, especially when writing about sports, but I generally eschew them, or try to, in normal conversation, but I am going to use one here.  New Normal.  Don't like that one, but it is one that Marilyn and I have been faced with on more than one occasion of late, and this past week of isolation, quasi-quarentining, and social distancing (the latest new buzzword)  has been surreal to say the least.

Hey, we're retired, so it's not like we have a job to go to, or classes to attend, or kids to raise, so what else are we going to do all day, right?  However, when you are, if not ordered to do so, then strongly advised to stay home and do nothing, you find that it's HARD HAVING NOTHING TO DO!!!

So far, this has been our week....I have finished two books and have started on a third, Marilyn has read at least that many, we are halfway through a 500 piece jigsaw puzzle (pictures to follow upon completion), and have brought out the board games (Parcheesi and Poker's Wild so far).  Lots of naps, never a bad thing, but strangely enough, not a lot of television watching.  I did watch a 1971 Lt. Columbo TV movie called "Ransom for a Dead Man" (Lee Grant was the special guest killer.  Man, she was pretty!), and on Monday I watch four episodes of "Family Guy" on TBS.  "Family Guy" is rude, lewd, juvenile, and totally tasteless, but,  God help me, I can't help but laugh uproariously every time I watch it.  I'm not proud of that, but there you are.

********
Sports are gone.  No  sports to watch.  While I didn't often plant myself in front of the tube and watch four solid hours of sports every night (with some exceptions, of course), it's remarkable how much you miss by not being able to watch a couple of innings of a baseball game, or a half hour or so of a basketball or hockey game, or spend a Sunday afternoon watching a golf tournament.  Life's pleasures are often taken for granted, and we are certainly missing those sporting pleasures now.

I did watch, and you read about it here a few days ago, a DVD of the complete telecast of the Steelers win in Super Bowl XIII in 1979.  That was fun, and there are five other of those games that I can watch at some point in the days ahead.

********
There are two sports in the news.  One is the National Football League, so far unaffected by COVID-19 postponements.  The NFL "year" began this past week with a splash of free agent signings.  The biggest of which was the severance of the twenty year connection between Tom Brady and the New England Patriots, and his signing with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  It is almost inconceivable to imagine Brady in anything but a Patriots uniform, and the odds are that this second act will not end well for him.  True, an aged Peyton Manning left Indy for Denver, and took the Broncos to two Super Bowls, winning one of them, but the odds are that the many tropes posted in the last week (Willie Mays as a Met, Johnny Unitas as a Charger, Franco Harris as a Seahawk, the list goes on) will be the more likely end for Brady, the G.O.A.T.  

A guy like Brady deserves the right to call his own shots as to when and how to end his career, so good luck to him.

Also, we shall now get to see how great a coach Bill Belichick is without Tom Brady as his quarterback. If I had to bet, I would bet that Belichick will prosper more than will Brady in the years ahead, but we shall see.

********
In the other sport in the news, the money grubbers at that comprise the International Olympic Committee are continuing to insist that, despite a worldwide pandemic, the Tokyo Summer Games will go on as scheduled come July 24.   Today I read that the USA Swimming, the governing body of that sport in the United States, has called for a postponement of the games.  That appears to be the first significant fissure in the dam that is the IOC, so, again, we shall see.  As my pal Matthew stated in a Facebook post the other day, he often has a hard time deciding who he hates more, the NCAA, the IOC, or FIFA.  Today, the IOC is in the lead.

********

I close this post with a picture of a statue of Winston Churchill that stands in Parliament Square in London.  I took this photo when we visited that city last year.  Why am I doing this?  Well, I just finished Erik Larson's terrific new book, "The Splendid and The Vile" (reviewed on this Blog earlier in the week), that detailed Churchill's first year as Prime Minister, a year when Great Britain was at war with Hitler's Germany, and the city of London and all of Britain was being bombed on a nightly basis by the Luftwaffe.  To read how British citizens lived through and survived that horror, and to read that one of the reasons that they were able to come through all of that was the extraordinary leadership of Winston Churchill, offers a large dose of inspiration and perspective.  It did for me, anyway.

Stay well, Loyal Readers.

1 comment:

  1. I viewed the movie " Jewel" and enjoyed the stellar performance by Kathy Bates. I read, contemplate my navel and stay connected via social networks. " This too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete