Saturday, May 9, 2020

"Masked Prey" by John Sandford

Every spring I look forward to the publication of a new Lucas Davenport thriller by John Sandford. This year, and especially in this year of pandemic and social isolation, was no exception.  So it is with disappointment that I have to say this this 29th tale in the Davenport Saga came as a, well, disappointment. 

(By the way, as Sandford was writing this one, I'm sure he couldn't have begun to imagine the irony of the title of this book released in America in April, 2020.)

Federal Marshall Lucas is called to investigate the seeming threats that are being made by an Alt-Right website against the children of members of Congress.  We are then led into an exploration of these hate groups and the sub-culture of Second Amendment Gun Nuts that seem to be proliferating EVERYWHERE Lucas and his colleagues turn.  That's fine, in and of itself, but then Sandford has Lucas bring the case to a conclusion in what was a disappointing way, to me at least.  I can't say more than that without giving a major spoiler.  If you are a fan of the series, by all means read it, and perhaps you will disagree with me, which is okay.  Let's just say that this is one that I won't be rereading at any point in the future, but hey, even Sandy Koufax got batted around every once in awhile.

The Grandstander gives this one only Two Stars, but I would like to quote one bit of dialog from early in the book that I really liked.  After interviewing US Senator Roberta Coil, whose daughter is one of the threatened, Lucas has this exchange with her:

"...we're dealing with crazy people with guns..."

"Why do crazy people have guns?"  Coil asked.

"You'd know the answer to that better than I would, Senator," Lucas said.

No comments:

Post a Comment