Monday, August 31, 2020

To Absent Friends - John Thompson

 John Thompson
1941-2020

When I heard the news this morning that John Thompson, Hall of Fame Basketball Coach at Georgetown University, died yesterday, three days short of his 79th birthday. It was not my intention to do an Absent Friends post on him.  I mean, he wasn't a local guy, and he's been retired for quite awhile, and while I realize who he was and what he accomplished, he just didn't move the needle for me.  

Then I listened to today's Tony Kornheiser Show Podcast.  The first two segments of the show featured Kornheiser's opening monologue reminiscing about Thompson, and the second segment with Michael Wilbon, offered more of the same.   Both guys covered Georgetown during those glory days, and their stories were terrific.  If you are a college basketball fan, and especially if you are one of those folks who consistently long for the halcyon days of the Big East, I urge you to listen to today's, August 31, 2020, episode of the podcast and listen to the first two segments.  They cover about 30 minutes.  Nothing I could write could possibly be  a better tribute to  "Big John."

RIP John Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment