Tuesday, October 6, 2020

To Absent Friends - Eddie Van Halen

 Eddie Van Halen
1955 - 2020

I am not going to claim to have been an enormous fan or authority on guitarist extraordinaire Eddie Van Halen or his eponymous rock band, Van Halen, but I can say that I know a virtuoso when I see or hear one, and Eddie Van Halen was certainly that.  The news of his death from cancer today at the age of 65 came as a true shock to me, although fans of his knew that he had been suffering from the ravages of the disease for the better part of a decade.

I did own a couple of Van Halen cassette tapes (which dates me, I know), and I did attempt to dance to "Jump" at more than one wedding reception in the 1990's, so I will bow to the true aficionados - like my pal Dan Houston - to give more knowledgeable tributes to his talents.  All that I know is that he was among the very best at his craft - EVER.

RIP Eddie Van Halen.

A more mature EVH

No comments:

Post a Comment