Tuesday, June 1, 2021

"The Pirates Project" - Two Months In



Hey, Gang, remember when I wrote about "The Pirates Project" back in March, the wagering experiment that I would be conducting throughout the season?  Well, the Battlin' Bucs have now completed two months of the season, 53 games worth, and I am sure that many of you, at least one or two, are wondering, "Just how is that going for The Grandstander?"

Some raw numbers before I give you the results so far.

  • The Pirates had a surprisingly good April, finishing the month at 12-13.
  • In May, the Pirates became what we thought they would become.  They went 8-20.  Their record of 20-33 puts them on pace for a 61-101 record for the season.
  • I wagered a total of $57.49 on the Pirates' 53 opponents to win on the Money Line odds.  Average bet per game was $1.08 with bets ranging from $.50 to $2.00 a game.  Most bets were for either $.75 or $1.00.
Here are the Year To Date results:



Amount Bet

Amount Paid

Net


May Totals


30.90

34.72

3.82

12.7% gain in May

April Totals


26.59

22.76

-3.83

14.4% loss in April

YTD (April-May)


57.49

57.48

-0.01

Virtual break even for season


Yep, the Pirates put me in the hole after that hot start (for them) in April, and it took the entire month of May for me to dig out of that hole, but dig out of it I have to the extent that I have lost exactly $0.01, one crummy penny, on the overall project.  It's enough to convince me to extend the project for at least another month.  The Pirates have 26 games scheduled in June, which will take them to two games shy of the halfway mark for the season.   Should they continue to play more like they did in May than they did in April, I think that I will be writing in black ink when I next report back on this Project.

I also want to point out that, yes, I do feel a little skeevy about constantly betting against "my team", and that when I watch them, I am never cheering for them to lose.  Still, when they get outscored 33-3 in three games, as happened against the Braves last month, this little experiment is something upon which to fall back.

No comments:

Post a Comment