Friday, September 10, 2021

Hitting a Milestone

Sometime between 8:00 and 9:00 o'clock tomorrow evening, September 11, 2021, the time will be marked when I will have officially completed my 70th trip around the sun.  I've passed the stage where I pay a great deal of attention to birthdays anymore, I mean, after you start qualifying for senior prices at barber shops, movie theaters, and golf courses, why bother, but when you turn to a number evenly divisible by ten, well, you do get a little introspective.

I've led a very fortunate life.  Great parents - whose lessons still resonate with me decades after they've been gone - good brothers and sisters, two generations of terrific nephews and nieces, and good friends too numerous to even attempt to list, but they know who they are.  Also, shortly after my 21st birthday, I met Marilyn, the young lady who two years later made the crazy decision to agree to marry me.  I hit the lottery the day that she came into my life.  What a great ride it has been and continues to be, and we, she and I, are looking forward to more - many more - good years ahead.  

Okay, enough of the serious introspection, and let's do some true Grandstander shit....

Three members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame stopped by this week to wish me the best upon reaching this milestone birthday, a number with which they were most familiar.  So my thanks good out today to Artie Donovan of the Colts, Sam Huff of the Giants, and Ernie Stautner of the Steelers.



And as I have done in the past, I send along greetings to two other Hall of Famers who also share the date of September 11 as their birthdate, Coaches Paul "Bear" Bryant and Tom Landry.


Unlike them, I would have been a terrible football coach, but I do think that I can pull off wearing a hat every bit as well as they did.



No comments:

Post a Comment