Friday, December 31, 2021

The Absent Friends of 2021

 

The term "Absent Friends" took on a new and extremely close meaning to me this past October 12 when my wife of 47 years, Marilyn, left this world.  I wrote this Absent Friends post about her last month.  It was both the easiest and the hardest post that I ever wrote, and the one that I never wanted to write.  A truer friend I will never have, and her absence will be forever in my heart and my life.

Moving on, let us now pay tribute one final time to the Absent Friends of 2021.  There were 41 of them this year, which brings the total number of Absent Friends recognized by The Grandstander over the years to 415.  (For your information, Absent Friend #400 was Pittsburgh television personality Ricki Wertz.)  "Absent Friends" are people who have contributed in various ways, large and small, to our world and popular culture.  Some are famous, some are people who may be remembered only by people in their local areas, and some may be individuals who are noted only because I found them to be interesting folks.

All that said, here are the 41 Absent Friends of 2021.  If you are interested in seeing what I had to say about them at the time, just type their names into the search box at the top of this screen.

Gerry Marsden
Tanya Roberts
Hank Aaron
Don Sutton
Larry King
Walter Bernstein
Bruce Kirby
Cloris Leachman
Grant Jackson
Rennie Davis
Hal Holbrook
Eugenio Martinez
Mart Schottenheimer
Leon Spinks
Mary Wilson
Joe Tait
Larry McMurtry
Prince Phillip
Walter Mondale
Michael Collins
Rennie Stennett
Charles Grodin
Ned Beatty
Clarence Williams III
Jim "Mudcat" Grant
Ricki Wertz
Ron Popiel
Joe Walton
Don Everly
Charlie Watts
Ed Asner
Tunch Ilkin
Irma Kalish
Colin Powell
Marilyn Sproule
Sam Huff
Bill Virdon
Stephen Sondheim
Bob Dole
Mike Nesmith
John Madden

RIP One and All.



No comments:

Post a Comment