Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Ashes




The view from Spirit Island in Lake Maligne
Jasper, Alberta, Canada

During my Canadian vacation last month (which I wrote about HERE), I took the opportunity to scatter a bit of Marilyn's cremains at two different spots along the way.  This is the third time that I have done this the months since Marilyn's death, and each time, I have found it to be a moving, peaceful, cathartic, and meaningful experience.

The first spot was at a boat dock at a place called Spirit Island in Lake Maligne in Jasper National Park in Alberta Province.   Spirit Island, I learned, was and remains an almost sacred place for the Indigenous Peoples of Canada, so I knew that this would make the event even more meaningful for me.  The night before, I had communicated to our group that I was planning on doing this, and I mentioned that if anyone cared to join me, I would welcome their presence.  I was honored that every person in our group gathered at the dock the next day to join in this "ceremony."  I was touched beyond words.

Lake Maligne is the source of the Maligne River.  The waters of the Maligne River eventually empty into the Arctic Ocean.  As most of you know, Marilyn loved the ocean, and while I suspect that she wouldn't have actually wanted to swim in the Arctic Ocean, I am certain that the fact that some of her remains may end up there would be a very satisfying thought for her.

Special thanks to tour mate Pat Myers who took these wonderful photos of the event.








Later in the week, we walked upon the glacier of the Columbia Ice Fields in the Park.  It was an awesome feeling to be in such a raw part of nature,  and I know that Marilyn would have been thrilled to be a part of it.  In a more private moment, I separated myself from the group, had a chat with Marilyn, and left a bit of her behind upon the snow and ice of the glacier.
 

As I mentioned above, I have found these scatterings to be a great comfort.  This is the third time that I have done this, and I have plans of doing it again at other spots that were and remain special to Marilyn and me.  I don't expect that I will write about such occurrences in the future.  I wanted to share this, however, because in the event that you may one day find yourself in this position, you, too, may find comfort in such ceremonies.

2 comments:

  1. Such love and devotion in this memorial moment to your beloved Marilyn and in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such an honor to watch and wonder who this woman was and what a special relationship they must have had…

    ReplyDelete