Friday, December 30, 2022

To Absent Friends - Pele

Pele
1940 - 2022

Even people who don't know a lot about international futbol, like me, all know one fact:  that Pele, born Edson Arantes do Nascimento, of Brazil was the greatest soccer player ever.   He played on three separate World Cup Champion Brazil teams in three different decades, 1958, 1962, and 1970.

I won't go on and on about Pele as a player. I'm not really qualified to do so, but I will highly recommend that you read this obituary that appeared on page A-1 of today's Washington Post, written by Liz Clarke.   It is a great read.

One thing I learned in reading various obits is that no one can explain how or where the name "Pele" came from.  It has no translation in the Portuguese language.  It is a made up word that is totally unique to the person.  A name that is a totally unique word affixed to a person of totally unique talents.  Perhaps that is as it should be.

RIP Pele.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment