Sunday, September 3, 2023

To Absent Friends - Jimmy Buffett

Jimmy Buffett
1946 - 2023

Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett passed away two days ago at the age of 76, and I mourn his passing.  No, I was not a Parrothead.  Never attended one of his concerts, and I think, but am not certain, that I might have purchased a "greatest hits" CD of his which I may or may not still own, but that is the extent of it.

Here is why I am grateful to Jimmy Buffett.  I love Hilton Head Island.  One of my favorite places to visit over the years.  At just about every bar and restaurant on Hilton Head, you can find a guy playing a guitar and singing to entertain the customers, and the staple of every single one of these minstrels is the vast repertoire of songs by Jimmy Buffett.  Margaritaville, Cheeseburgers in Paradise, Come Monday, It's 5:00 O'Clock Somewhere....these guys play them all, and listening to them when vacationing and having a great time is a pure joy.  Here is COME MONDAY, my personal favorite Buffett tune.

So when I think of Jimmy Buffett, I think of wonderful memories of Hilton Head and Florida and South Carolina beach towns (the guitar strumming singer playing at bars is not limited to HHI) with Marilyn and now with Linda, and I am grateful for that legacy.

RIP Jimmy Buffett.


No comments:

Post a Comment