Wednesday, October 7, 2026

More On Sam McDowell

 

In the thirty-six hours following THIS ABSENT FRIENDS post abut Sam McDowell, I realized that I sort of glossed over his accomplishments in his post-baseball life.

McDowell's career came to an end in 1975 largely due to his alcoholism.  Stories in his obituaries make note of the fact that Sam was "booted out" of baseball because of his condition.  Soon after that, McDowell found himself $190,000 in debt due to a failed business venture, his wife left him and took their two kids with her, and Sam found himself selling insurance and living with his parents, all while still battling his alcoholic demons.

No mention is made of what the turning point was that caused McDowell to check himself into Gateway Rehabilitation, but that is what he did.  After becoming sober, he enrolled in  the University of Pittsburgh and obtained a degree in Sports Psychology and Addiction.

He then became an addiction counselor for the Texas Rangers and the Toronto Blue Jays, earning a World Series ring with the Blue Jays in 1993.  He then served in similar capacities with the Baseball Assistance Team (BAT) and the Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association.   In 1998, he founded the City of Legends Retirement Community, a community for retired professional athletes.

The obit that appeared in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette included this quote from  McDowell:

“I truly believe, with all my heart, the greatest thing that ever happened to me was that I was an alcoholic and found out about it,” McDowell told the New York Post in 2001. “Had I never known and had not been thrown out of baseball, I would not have the great life I have now. I would not have the education. I would not have learned how to live and love. Every day is a kick.”

The term "redemption story" has become a cliche, but Sam McDowell's life after he threw his last pitch truly embodies that term, and his accomplishments there exceed any of his accomplishments on the diamond. 

Again, RIP Sam McDowell.


No comments:

Post a Comment