Friday, September 3, 2010

200 Posts - Believe It or Not, I Was Wrong Sometimes!

I just noted that The Grandstander has made his 200th Post since the inception of this blog. the record will show that the historic 200th post was devoted to football coaching gaffes, and the Steelers quarterback situation. How appropriate.

Let me celebrate the milestone post by talking about some of the things that I have gotten wrong over the last few months.
  • Throughout May and June I called for the Pirates to bring up pitcher Brad Lincoln, figuring that he was ready to be a mainstay of the pitching staff. After going 1-4, 6.57, Lincoln was sent back to Triple-A and awaits, hopes, for a September call-up. Let's hope that this was a case of Lincoln not being ready yet, and that he will come around in 2011.
  • On July 5, with all the Pirates prime prospects on the big team, I postulated that we judge this "new" Pirates team on the 84 game "season" that began on July 1. Maybe that team would begin to turn things around, I said. So far, that team is 17-38 (.309), considerably worse than the pre-July 1 team (27-51, .346).
  • On August 8, I recounted the Pirates comeback win over the Rockies the night before that featured Pedro Alavarez' three-run walk-off 10th inning home run. Maybe that will be the springboard for this team, I said. See prior bullett point to see how well that thought turned out.
  • On August 9, I suggested that Alvarez would finish with more HR's than Atlanta rookie Jason Heyward. I even offered to bet anyone a dinner at McDonald's that it would happen. On that date, Alvarez had 10 HR's and Heyward had 12. Today, Pedro is stuck on 10 and Heyward has 16. It should be noted that (a) no one took me up on that bet, and (b) that offer is no longer on the table.
  • Oh, I also had the Colts winning the Super Bowl.

Okay, I have admitted to where I got it wrong, and I am sure that there are many other examples. However, I will continue to stand by other things I got right:

  • That curling was an enjoyable event to watch in the Olympics.
  • That The Godfather movies are GREAT.
  • That current day baseball players are slobs due to how they wear their uniforms.
  • That Rex Ryan is and continues to be an enormous blowhard.
  • That while Joe West may be a total jagoff, he was not wrong when he talked about the pace of play in MLB games.
  • That Friday Fish Fries in Lent are fun.
  • That the Augusta National/Masters logo is cool.
  • That every generation should be exposed to the Marx Brothers.
  • That while Charlie Morton has been lousy this season, the Pirates contributed to his downfall by continuing to run him our every fifth game for the first 2 and 1/2 months of the season.
  • That John Russell has to go.
  • That Neal Huntington is arrogant.
  • That "Sex and the City 2" was a LOUSY movie.

Hope you have enjoyed the last 200 posts and will continue to enjoy all the ones in the future. I also wish that more of you would share your comments on the blog. Interaction makes it more fun.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that YOU told The Pirates to bring up Neil Walker!

    ReplyDelete