Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New Fall TV Shows

After perusing the Fall Preview issue of TV Guide (the only time of the year that I buy TVG, btw, as this magazine has devolved into just another supermarket gossip rag, in my opinion), I have earmarked the following shows to watch and see if they are worth watching on a continuing basis.
  • "Hawaii Five -0." How can devoted fans of the 1970's iconic show NOT give this one a look-see? On the other hand, how can some hunk of beefcake named Alex O'Loughlin ever hope to fill the shoes of the great Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett? Although a chick named Grace Park (not the professional golfer) playing "Kona" sure beats the hell out of the wooden Zulu, who played "Kono" on the original series. Can't wait for the new McGarrett to bark out "What have you got for me, Che?" and of course the immortal line, "Book 'em, Danno."
  • "Raising Hope." This is a white trash sitcom on Fox that stars, among others, 84 year old Cloris Leachman. This could be a very funny show, but it could just as easily be one that I will never watch again after the first viewing. The potential for both extremes is there.
  • "Detroit 1-8-7." A gritty cop show starring The Sopranos' Michael Imperioli ("Christopher Moltisanti"). Gotta try it for no other reason than that.
  • "The Defenders." Jim Belushi as a sleazy Vegas lawyer. Again, this could be a one-and-done situation, but I have to give it a try.
  • "The Whole Truth." A Prosecution vs. Defense legal show. I like Maura Tierney, so it's worth a shot.
  • "Law & Order: Los Angeles." Same show, different city. Can it be as good a show without Sam Watterson? On the other hand, L&O was never quite the same after Jerry Orbach died.
  • "Body of Proof." Dana Delaney as a crime solving medical examiner. Again, the potential is there for a good show.

There are others that I think I might try - Undercovers, Running Wilde, and Nikita - but if I don't get to them, no big deal. I also think I'll pass on NBC's highly promoted The Event. Looks like one of those shows that continue from week to week, and who wants to make that sort of commitment?

I suspect that I will be offering some opinions on these shows as they unfold. If you are interested in my thoughts on them, then....Be here. Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment