Monday, April 18, 2011

A Poll Question - Participation Needed!!!

With apologies to Facebook and SABR Friend Dan Bonk, I want to propose a question to you. Who is the most disliked figure in Pittsburgh sports history? Dan got the ball rolling by nominating three people: Bob Nutting, Barry Bonds, and Francisco Cabrera.

Personally, I would discount Cabrera. He was just another guy on an opposing team doing his job. I also strike Bonds from the list. While he was never enormously popular during his years as a Pirate, I do not recall him being a truly disliked figure until many years later when his home run totals increased with proportion to his head size.

That leaves Nutting, and he's going to be a hard guy knock from this dubious pedestal.

Some guys receiving votes on Facebook included Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnell, and Dave Littlefield.

Anyone else care to make a nomination?

3 comments:

  1. No apology necessary - they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. However Bob, you and Father John - were you guys living in a cave when Bonds was here? Even Leyland got into a well publicized verbal tussle with him. I have a friend who was in a foursome with him in a celebrity tourney when he was and the story he tells confirms this guy's horse's backside reputation. That tiger didn't change his striped once he started taking the cream and the clear. Like I told our friend the Padre on FB, I looked up JERK in Webster's and Bonds' picture was in the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I agree that Bonds was never popular while in Pgh, and I certainly remember the Leyland shouting incident. However, in your question, you used the word "hated", and I will stand by what I said. Unpopular, yes....hated, not so much.

    I am also old enough to remember that there was a time when Roberto Clemente was not so well loved either. No one will admit to it now, but he was not always the beloved figure that he is today, 40 years after his world series heroics and 39 years after his last game and his tragic death.

    And once again, and not to defend Bonds, I am sure that there are many, many, MANY "beloved" Pirates, Steelers, and Penguins who are no doubt horse's backsides as well, if we ever knew the truth. I could tell of two encounters - one at an old timers' dinner, and one at a golf outing - that I have had over the years with a hero of the '71 Pirates who I consider a horse's ass as a result. I won't mention his name, becuase maybe I just caught him on two bad days. (So as not to cause you bad thoughts about some players, this guy was not an everyday player or a starting pitcher.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob - good points - as always.

    ReplyDelete