Thursday, August 11, 2011

"Citizen Kane"



Earlier in the week, I DVR'd Orson Welles 1941 classic, "Citizen Kane" from TCM and tonight I watched it. While I, and everyone else, have seen parts of this movie a bunch of times, this was only the second time, I believe, that I ever watched it from start to finish.



Good story, well acted, entertaining, and very good, if not great movie. However, when such lists are complied, "Citizen Kane" is always listed at the top of the list, Number 1, the Greatest Movie of All-Time. My question, and I pose it seriously, is why? Why is this movie considered the greatest movie of 'em all?


I don't want to sound like an ignoramus, but I wonder why THIS movie is the #1 among all the critics and film scholars. I suppose that much of this stems from the cinematic techniques that were used in making the movie, many of which were quite innovative back in 1941, and these were all the more remarkable due to the fact that Welles was only 25 when he made the movie.


I would welcome the input of someone more knowledgeable than I on such matters. What makes "Citizen Kane" the best movie ever made?

No comments:

Post a Comment