Saturday, February 25, 2012

And the Oscar Goes to....

The Grandstander's Broadway Correspondent asked recently if I was planning on posting my own Oscar predictions. Well, such predictions would be, at best, uninformed since I have not seen all of the nominated movies. However, after seeing a few of them, and reading informed opinions of knowledgeable critics, and seeing the tea leaves that have settled after the Golden Globes and SAG awards, I will offer the following:

Best Picture - "The Artist." My personal vote would go to "The Descendants" of those pictures that have been nominated, but I would also add another editorial comment that "Ides of March" was a better movie than either of them.

Best Actor - Jean Desjardin, The Artist. Again, I'd vote for George Clooney, but I'm guessing that the Academy will go for the foreign actor over a popular and commercial American actor. It will make them feel like they are putting "art" over mere commercial success (remember Roberto Begnini a few years ago?).

Best Actress - Viola Davis, The Help. Meryl Streep, and also ran, again.

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Plummer

Best Supporting Actress - Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best Director - Michael Hazenavicous, The Artist

Best Original Screenplay - Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris. I'm really pulling for this one!

Best Adapted Screenplay - The guys who wrote The Descendants.

There you go. Eight predictions. No chance that I will be as perspicacious as our Man who predicts the Tonys for us each year, but what the hell.

Enjoy the show on Sunday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment