Wednesday, June 6, 2012

From "Our Man on Broadway"....


I have eagerly awaited, and have finally received, the Tony Award predictions from Loyal Reader and The Grandstander's Broadway Correspondent, Big Poppy, aka The Sage of Landview Street, or, as he calls himself, TAGR, the Truly Arrogant Guest Prognosticator.  No need for me to do anything but cut-n-paste his email prognostications to me.  I have seen none of these plays/performances, of course, but I'll whole-heartedly endorse any prediction calling for an award to Phillip Seymour Hoffman!

Take it away, Big Poppy......

(I will apologize in advance that the formatting is a bit screwed up here in the cutting and pasting, but I do not have the technical proficiency to make the corrections.  I especially apologize to TAGR for this.)


Hi Bob .... Again, in 2012, The Grandstander was nice enough to allow this loyal reader to become
the "TAGR" .... "Truly Arrogant Guest Prognosticator" for the TONY Awards.  Last year, Big Poppy was 6 for 7.  Not bad, so this year I'm making 10 predictions. 
 
The TONY's are NOT "just another awards show"! Oh no ... it's really "just-another-awards-show that
most Grandstander readers don't give a S#%* about!"  But despite verrrrry few comments on my successful predictions, Big Poppy is undaunted and shall eschew this underwhelming response. Just the G-Man's invitation is all I need to try and match your Oscar pick success of this year.
 
So here goes; no runaways this year ... no cherries to pick ........ like Book of Mormon last year.
 
BEST...
 
Featured Actress (Musical) .................. Judy Kaye - Nice Work if you Can Get It
Featured Actor (Musical) ..................... Michael McGrath - Nice Work if you Can Get It
Musical Score ....................................... Newsies - Composers Menken and Feldman (WILL win)
                                                                                 Bonnie and Clyde (SHOULD win)
Actress (Musical)................................... Audra McDonald - Porgy and Bess
Actor (Musical) ..................................... Danny Burstein - Follies
Actor (Play) ........................................... Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Death of a Salesman
Play (New) ............................................. Other Desert Cities
Play (Revival) ........................................ Death of a Salesman 
Musical (Revival) .................................. Follies                                                                                    
Musical (New) ........................................ONCE                                                                                                                                                         & nbsp;                                                    
 
Okay, there's 10!  Yes, I'm cocky about my predictions and am looking for at least 8 of 10.
But who knows?  I remain - your truly arrogant guest prognosticator - Big Poppy.
..................................................................................................................................................
Off the record, I'm pulling for Bonnie and Clyde since I have met and spoken with the composer,
Frank Wildhorn, (the "critics' punching bag").  Death of a Salesman  "should" win every award
that it's nominated for; a spectacular production of the "iconic" American tragedy. Follies WILL
win since it's associated with Stephen (let's all genuflect) Sondheim.  ONCE is like a trendy,
"Indie" type musical, not big and splashy, and a good bet to win.    OK, enough!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I only have interest in two awards shows: 1st are the Oscars, 2nd are the Tonys. Missed the Tonys last night because i had totally forgotten about them and was out with Susan, Stephanie and Aly playing a round of Pitch & Putt at Scally's. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pitch & Putt. Just wish I would have DVR'd the Tony's. Hopefully I can catch it via Verizon's "On Demand." Anyway, I enjoyed this blog though I just read it this morning. Will look forward to comparing the actual winners to the predictions.

    ReplyDelete