Sunday, August 26, 2012

Steelers Win Another Practice Game

Circumstances prevented me from seeing much of last night's Steelers 38-7 win over the Buff Bills.  In fact, I only saw one sequence of plays in that game, but what an enlightening sequence it was.

I switched between innings of the Pirates game to the Steelers game, only to see that the score was 7-7, and that the Steelers had just taken possession on their own two yard line with a little over one minute remaining in the first half.  Two straight running plays by the New Steelers Offense netted -1 yard, and in fact, the Bills called time out after each play in hopes of getting another possession before halftime.  At that point, Ben Roethlisberger, probably to the consternation of Art II and Todd Hailey began to pass the football.  The Steelers offense -  as opposed to the New Steelers Offense - led by Roethlisberger, then passed their way downfield and capped it off with one of the prettiest Ben-to-Antonio Brown passes and catches you will see with :13 remaining in the half.  Johnny Unitas in his prime could not have conjured up a better two-minute drill.  In reading the paper this morning, I found it interesting that Ben's quote was "I just started calling my own plays out there".

I'm just a fan.  I'm no coach, and heavy X's-and-O's talk bores me to tears, and I watched that series of plays in a vacuum (saw nothing before that series, and nothing after it), but how smart do you have to be to realize that when the best player on your team is your quarterback, who is also one of the half-dozen or so best QB's in the League, and you have a bunch of pretty good receivers, you should THROW THE BALL.


No comments:

Post a Comment