Friday, August 24, 2012

The Umbrellas at Pitt


I have to admit that I have loved following the story of the planning and execution by the Pitt Freshman Orientation Committee and their successful attempt to stage the World's Largest Umbrella Dance as a part of Orientation week at Pitt yesterday.  In case you missed it, over 3,500 incoming freshman took part in this dance on campus yesterday afternoon, shattering the previous record.  This not only will be noted in the Guinness Book of World's Records, but it also paid tribute to Pitt alumnus Gene Kelly on the 100th anniversary of his birth.

Such an event is silly and goofy, to be sure, but not totally frivolous, because as a team building exercise, it sure beats a lot of stuff I went through at various corporate seminars over the years.  It is also the kind of "college experience" that I never had when I went to college, and I fully admit to being jealous as hell about it.

So, to all of those 3,500+ freshman and the Committee that conceived of this and pulled it off, I say....

"Hail to Pitt!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment