Friday, June 19, 2015

U.S. Open Forecast



It was my intention to write a Grandstander post Wednesday evening or Thursday morning that would offer my prediction for the US Open that is currently being contested at Chambers Bay in University Place, Washington.  However, I never got around to it, so, better late than never, here goes, and, yes, these were the names I would have written had I done this post on Wednesday night.  Honest.

Rather than make a flat out prediction, I was instead going to offer a short list of names and state that the winner would come from among those golfers.  The names were:

Jordan Spieth
Dustin Johnson
Rory McIlroy
Patrick Reed
Jason Duffner
Rickie Fowler

As I type this, they are about midway through the second round with half the golfers not yet out, and here is how it's looking for my boys.

Spieth and Johnson are part of a four way tie for first at -5.  Reed is one back at -4, Duffner is at -2, McIlroy is +2, and Fowler is at +13.

Of interest is 45 year old Phil Mickelson who is searching for the only Major title that has eluded him.  He sits at -1 after one round.  It would be a great story, and I would be pulling for him, but I am doubtful that Lefty will be able to hang on. He hasn't teed off yet for today, and we'll know more about his chances tonight after he signs his card.

The good new for Tiger Woods is that he is keeping right up, shot-for-shot, with one of the bright lights and Young Guns on the Tour today.  The bad news is that this particular Young Gun is Rickie Fowler.  Yep, Tiger is +13 through fifteen holes today.

I have been calling for Dustin Johnson to win a major for just about every one of these over the last three or four years now, so that's who I am picking for this one come Sunday.




As always, watch, but don't bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment