Saturday, March 23, 2024

On Katherine, Princess of Wales

 


I don't write a lot about the Royal Family of Great Britain because, frankly, I view the Monarchy as an anachronism of immense proportions, and, outside of watching a well done soap opera like "The Crown", who really cares about this family, which over the last century or so, has brought whole new meaning to the term "dysfunctional family"?

As such, I was vaguely aware that the Princess of Wales had recently undergone abdominal surgery, and then seemed to disappear from sight.  I did, however, like most other people, see the video that the Princess recently made announcing to the world that during the course of this rather serious surgery, cancer was discovered, and that she is now undergoing chemotherapy for treatment of the disease.

As person who lost his wife to cancer almost three years ago, after she had battled the disease for almost five years, and after she had undergone chemo and and other treatments for the disease over the course of her illness, watching this video of the Princess was almost personal to me.  It brought up lots of bad memories, and it made me feel a great deal of sympathy for Katherine.   I could almost see the feelings and emotions that had to be roiling within her.  Why did she need to make such a deeply personal announcement for all of the world to see?

I suppose that since she is the wife of the guy who will one day become King justifies it.  Also, perhaps the Princess wishes to serve as a role model others similarly afflicted.  

But if you can justify this public announcement on those bases, there is one other question that needs to be answered:

WHY WASN'T HER PRIG OF A  HUSBAND SITTING ALONG SIDE HER AS SHE MADE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT?

You can give me all of the British "stiff upper lip" bullshit you want, but this is inexcusable.  I have been that husband, and throughout the whole ordeal, the only place I ever wanted to be was by Marilyn's side.

Count me among the many who shall be rooting for Katherine to come through and survive this awful ordeal.


No comments:

Post a Comment