Saturday, March 9, 2024

Oscar Predictions, or A Night at the Oppie-ra


It is that time of the year for The Grandstander's predictions for the Motion Picture Academy's big pat-ourselves-on-the-back party, the Academy Awards, or, for short, the Oscars.  As I have stated before in this space, this is a year where I have virtually seen 'em all: all 10 Best Picture noms, 17 of 20 acting noms. all five Director noms, and 9 of 10 screenwriting noms.

Awards shows are a dime a dozen these days, but THIS one, the Oscars, is the one that still matters, the one show that I will not miss.  So, without further ado, here is how I see it playing out:


Best……

Predicted Winner

For Whom I Would Vote

Possible Dark Horse  Winner

Picture

Oppenheimer

Oppenheimer

Poor Things

Lead Actor

Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer

Cillian Murphy

Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers

Lead Actress

Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

Emma Stone, Poor Things

Annette Benning, Nyad

Supporting Actor

Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer

Robert Downey Jr

Ryan Gosling, Barbie

Supporting  Actress

Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Da’Vine Joy Randolph

America Ferrero, Barbie

Director

Christopher Nolen, Oppenheimer

Christopher Nolen

No One

Original Screenplay

Maestro

The Holdovers

The Holdovers

Adapted Screenplay

American Fiction

Oppenheimer

Barbie


Some random thoughts and comments....
  • Going to be a big night for "Oppenheimer", and deservedly so.  I recently watched this for a second time, and it confirmed all of the opinions that I had of it when I saw it last July.  Both Murphy and Downey, especially Murphy, will be most deserving winners.  If any actor carried a movie in 223, it was Cillian Murphy.
  • That said, I've loved Paul Giamatti in everything I've ever seen him in, and he was great in "The Holdovers".
  • Lily Gladstone has won all the awards leading up to the Oscars, so this appears to be a no brainer.  However, I have seen all five of the Best Actress category, and in my opinion Gladstone ranks fifth among them.  Annette Bening, Sandra Huller, Carey Mulligan, and Emma Stone all were terrific in their roles, and each of them would be a deserving winner.
  • "Maestro", which I have subtitled The Bradley Cooper Vanity Project, has garnered three nominations for Cooper: Actor, Director, and Original Screenplay.  I'm saying that the Academy gives Cooper his Oscar in the Screenwriting category.
  • I say that the Academy recognizes the very good movie "American Fiction" with the Adapted Screenplay award.  However, following the same logic used for Cooper above, I won't be surprised if Greta Gerwig, who was one again snubbed in the Director category, will get rewarded for her work as the screenwriter for the year's biggest blockbuster, "Barbie".
Enjoy the show.  I'll be back on Monday with the Oscars Post Mortem.

No comments:

Post a Comment