Thursday, April 1, 2010

Couldn't Believe It When I Heard It

I am sure that you have all heard the criticism, or at least ONE of the criticisms of ESPN is that if a sports event happened before 1979, when ESPN was created, then the four letter network doesn't believe it happened.

This criticism smacked me in the head this morning as I was out driving and listening to "Mike & Mike" this morning. Doug Gottlieb, who was filling in for Golic, stated that a case could be made for Derek Jeter being the "greatest Yankee of all time." Yes, you read that correctly. He said that you could argue that Derek Jeter is the GREATEST YANKEE OF ALL TIME.

Hey, Doug, didya ever hear of Babe Ruth? That alone smashes Gottlieb's statement to smithereens, but just for fun, I'll also throw in the names of Gehrig, DiMaggio, and Mantle.

Even Mike Greenberg, who believes that all of sports began with Michael Jordan, choked on his morning coffee on that statement.

Even conceding that Gottlieb is a basketball guy, can he ever really be taken seriously again?

1 comment:

  1. I have found a way to never be bothered by the self-adulatory, wise-ass manner of ESPN.

    I never put it on.

    Occasionaly it is necessary to watch a specific game, but avoiding it otherwise is easy.

    ReplyDelete