Saturday, April 3, 2010

Introducing...The 2010 Big Train

I realize that there are few things more boring to people than hearing someone talk about their Fantasy sports teams, but I'm going to do it anyway!

The North Park League of Fantasy Baseball held its 2010 draft last night. This league has been in existence for 20+ years, and 2010 will be my 12th year of participation. Draft Night is always a fun social occasion for the 11 guys who participate, and last night was no exception. Lots of laughs. (Kind of like the sports equivalent to a Star Trek Convention.)

I usually come out of the draft filled with enthusiasm for my squad, but last night - not so much. I am excited about the pitching staff (CC Sabathia, Chad Billingsley, Scott Kazmir, Carlos Zambrano, Jair Jurrjens, Johnny Cueto, Joe Saunders, Joe Blanton, and relievers Brian Fuentes and Ryan Franklin), but am concerned that I will be middle of the pack - at best - offensively. One good omen is that my first round pick was the Phillies' Chase Utley. In 2007, I was able to grab Utley in the first round, and I ended up winning the League that season. In what could be a bad omen, I have two Pirates on the team, OF Garrett Jones and 3B Andy LaRoche, who was my 26th and last round selection.

Four other Pirates were drafted last night: Andrew McCutcheon, Ryan Doumit, Akinora Iwamura, and Zach Duke.

It might of interest to some as to how the first round of the draft went, so here is the order of selection:

Albert Pujols
Roy Halladay
Alex Rodriguez
Ryan Howard
Chase Utley
Evan Longeria
Hanley Ramirez
Ryan Braun
Joe Mauer
Mark Teixeira

Readers will receive periodic updates on the NPL as the season progresses. The better the Big Train does, the more frequent will be the updates!

Let the games begin!!

1 comment:

  1. Your opening sentence was correct.

    Sorry, too easy.

    Actually, what was worse was watching people practice their golf swings in the office.

    ReplyDelete